Friday, June 19, 2009

Atlas Quest

These are our treasures!

Greetings everyone! I'm so sorry that I have been out of touch. In the past two weeks I have driven, with my boys, to Cape Cod, MA, and to Boston, then back home for one night. I dropped off one boy so that he could go to camp and took the other to Durham, NC, to do a show with me. In Durham, a friend introduced us to atlasquest.com. It is the perfect hobby for a globe trotting family. Much to our surprise, there are secret treasures hidden in parks and alleys under rocks and in tree stumps all over the US and in several other countries as well. They must be found by following clues, some of which are incredibly cryptic. We discovered 6 treasures in Durham. On the way home we found another in the Outer Banks, NC, and looked for one in Kitty Hawk, NC, but never found it. Then we drove straight up the coast to Rehoboth Beach, DE, and found one in a pedestrian through way. We found another near our home back in Lebanon, PA. And we accidentally found a, geocache, which is treasure that you find via GPS, in our local park. Treasure hunting is thrilling. The treasures that we find and leave are hand-carved stamps. You should check it out and see if there are any hidden near you.

I have been thinking of lots of stories during my journeys and promise a true spooky story of real hidden treasure when I return. I'll be working at a bead show in Newark, DE, this weekend and I have to leave in the next half hour. Peace.

6 comments:

  1. We went geocache'ing one time and couldn't find it - need to try again. I love the idea of treasure hunting.
    Can't wait for your story! Have a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of geocashe-ing but how COOL that there are treasures hidden all over the place. Wow. This is the best of humanity, coming up with cool games like this.

    Have a good time at the bead show. See you on the flip side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wondering what you are up to!
    What a neat thing to do...treasure hunting!

    Hope the show goes well, and hope to read more about your adventures soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make treasure hunts for my children [they would keep running home for help with the clues] they would have loved this one. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Letterboxing rocks! =)

    -- Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your travels take you far and wide and you exude such a zest for life! You raise your boys wherever you go and offer them a taste of adventure through memorable road trips. This kind of thing inspires ingenuity, humor and develops good survival skills. Hope the bead event was to your liking.

    ReplyDelete