Monday, December 21, 2009

Barnyard at Bedtime


Pig Smelling a Lily by Karen Thomas, The Angels in Pastels

Barnyard at Bedtime by Butternut Squash

“Hush,” said Rooster at the end of the day,

“I have to rise early. This is not time to play.

Dog chasing cat and cat chasing mouse,

It’s time to be quiet!” He continued to grouse.

“I’m not tired,” squeaked mouse. “Me either,” mewed cat,

Dog ran round the corner, and knocked them both flat.

“Oh no!” groaned the donkey, the pig and the cow.

Cat and mouse cried, it was a terrible row.

“I’m sorry,” woofed dog, “We were playing a game.”

No use in explaining, his head hung in shame.

“Alright, settle down now,” mother cow said.

“It’s dark out, and time that we all went to bed.”

Mouse sniffled softly as she curled in her nest.

Cat licked himself clean preparing for rest.

Dog yawned and stretched, then plopped on the floor.

But donkey was wide-eyed, and stared out the door.

“I can’t sleep,” brayed donkey, “I’m afraid of the dark!”

“Quiet!” crowed rooster, you’ll make the dog bark.

All the barn animals began to complain

“Knock it off! Shut your mouth!” was the noisy refrain.

“Shhhhhhhh!” said the pig to the rooster, and then,

he nosed open the gate and walked out of his pen.

“When I’m very tired at the end of the day,

Or when I’m not really sleepy and I still want to play,

when something scares me, or I’m troubled somehow,”

said the pig to the donkey, the cat and the cow,

“I just think of my day, and I try to recall

some things that I’m grateful for, both large and small.”

I think of my home and my family and friends.

I think of the flower I smelled at day’s end.

I think of the frog that I saw by the pond,

And Ladybug sunning herself on a frond.

With all of these beautiful thoughts in my head,

I find it much easier to relax in my bed.

“I’m thankful for cheese,” squeaked the mouse from her nest.

“I’m thankful for yarn,” purred cat feeling blessed.

“I love each sunrise,” the rooster then crooned.

“I’m happy in clover,” cow sweetly in tuned.

“I’m grateful for blue skies and oats and for hay,”

Donkey had had a wonderful day.

“Thank God for my supper!” said the dog on the floor,

He nodded, breathed deeply, and started to snore.

“Good Night,” said the pig going back to his pen.

“Good Night, and Sweet Dreams,” said his animal friends.

17 comments:

  1. My apologies for having been absent so long. Business and Holidays got in the way. After Christmas I hope to get back into the swing of things.

    I wrote the Children's story above this week and my friend Karen Thomas is currently working on illustrations to go with it. I'll let you know when its finished.

    My kids loved the story, but I'm always happy for a 4th and 5th opinion.

    Peace and Joy to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why your children are full of creativity and peace, with a wonderful mother like you! The story made me cry good tears. Best to you and yours, B Squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. butternut that's a beautiful story and one that makes me wish i taught younger grades than i do because they'd eat it all up!!! thankyou so much for sharing and have a peaceful holiday!!! steven

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fantastic! I'll be reading it to my daughter.
    I think it hits that lovely balance that mixes creative entertainment with wisdom. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jan, quit that or you'll make me cry too.

    He Steven, alright, a yes vote from a teacher, this is good.

    Whitney, I would love to know the reaction when you read the story. I wonder if the story can hold attention without the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! I wish my daughter were young enough so I could read it to her. Maybe I'll read it to her anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great to have you back in the blogsophere! All good things to you for 2010: happiness, good health, good luck, good sleep and sweet dreams.

    Happy solstice, Butternut!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a copy of the book when it is done! My grandkids would love it! Excited to see more of the illustrations. The pig smelling a lily is a perfect match for your good and fun rhyming story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My Gosh, this is so good and wonderful I am smiling ear to ear. My first thought was I wish I could illustrate it (and I wish i could write something like it) It is a real and true childrens story, and you must publish it.
    I think it could stand alone with out pictures, but it would be even more lovely as an illustrated book.
    Jeri, this is really the best thing i've read all week. It is completely lovely.

    I'll be waiting in line for an autographed copy...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good night and sweet dreams indeed! What a fabulous tale! I will read this to my youngest for his bedtime story. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Butternut,
    I enjoyed your story! I feel it has a rhythm and message that can endure for time. A perfect story to embark sharing what we feel thankful about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely story!
    Beautifully written and animals are always a sure-fire hit with the young ( and the not-so-young)
    I agree that it would make a very lovely picture book for young people.
    Season's greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully done..this feels as if it's always existed..in the best fable sort of way! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely story to read on Christmas Eve. Thank you for telling that to us.
    Have a lovely Christmas Butternut Squash.
    From a truly grateful Star,
    Blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Butternut Squash

    I wish you and your family all the best in 2010.

    Happy Holidays!

    Kh

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful little story! wonderful creative spark you have!!! something in the air with creativity i guess - i just finished a couple of large paintings the past few weeks and have several more lined up to do - haven't had a paint brush in my hand in way too long - felt so good to be back "home" with one!! if you'd like to check them out, go over to my gypsywomanworld 12/28 post of the canvases of my life -

    again, beautiful beautiful story - can't wait to see illustrations with it!

    peace and love - jenean

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delightful story; can't wait for the illustrations. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete