Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The True Tale of My Life as a Geisha

'Butternut Squash made a spectacular entrance at Willow's Ball. It is highly unlikely that her sumptuous silk robes will be trend setting, but in true Butternut fashion, they will leave and indelible impression.'

The True Tale of My Life as a Geisha

Yes, this is an actual picture of me, in 1990. In the US we have body image issues usually having to do with our weight. In many other countries the issues seem to have more to do with skin and hair color. In the 1990's, while I was living in Japan, fair skinned Western women with blond hair and blue eyes appeared to me to be the ideal image of beauty for the Japanese. Advertisements of all kinds would feature fair skinned blue eyed people for even the most traditional Japanese products. During this time, I quite easily picked up a few modeling jobs just for fun. The Japanese telephone card above was made as a gift to me for participating in a bridal fashion show. In this show there were at least ten western women and no Japanese women modeling antebellum style white wedding gowns and Japanese kimono on a runway. The audience was entirely composed of Japanese women and their mothers choosing gowns for weddings. In my opinion, I make a rather frightening looking Japanese bride. The make-up artists seemed very disturbed that they could not paint my naturally blond eyebrows black and create an acceptable expression. Pretty as I may have been in my natural state, the result of changing my hair and brows was rather grotesque. When I sent this card home to my grandmother in Lancaster, Ohio, she said, "My how you've changed!"

I'm sorry to tease you with the Geisha bit. I did study tea ceremony, flower arranging and traditional dance in Maiko Villa where they have Geisha in training, but I have always aspired to the art and corresponding meditation of these practices, for myself, and not for the entertainment of men.

22 comments:

  1. I am guessing over time your grandma's comment has become true on many levels. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an entrance! May I inquire, as to if you will join me in the next dance, m'lady?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Leenie,

    I'm afraid Grandma, never saw much past the costumes, but you may be right about the changes.

    Skip, I would be delighted. (Eyelashes Batting Wildly.) But it will have to be a slow dance. I can only move my feet about two inches in the kimono and I might trip over my wooden geta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a beautiful geisha you make! it's always fun to play "dress up" and even more so to be paid for it!!! good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly like to make an entrance and what a wonderful idea for Willow's Ball. You look absolutely splendid even if you are a little pale. You also look a little surprised at the result yourself, if I may say so! I hope you enjoy the festivities this evening. I think you deserve it after all that dressing up!
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am fascinated. You look devine.

    Yes, just stick with the slow dances! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so gorgeous! Wow. Loved the fan dance, btw. So glad you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun story, Butternut Squash. Somehow traditional clothes and costumes never look right on foreigners. I have an Indonesian outfit, made for me when I lived on Java, and I look rather silly in it. I still have it, though.

    Your Nepal photos are great!

    Miss Footloose
    www.lifeintheexpatlane.blogspot.com
    Tales of the Globetrotting Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Butternut Squash,
    What an interesting story! You looked so beautiful when you entered the ball. how elegant! If you would like to visit Linda #53 at the north end of the manor, you are welcome to visit. We have lots of dancing and food. Chef Michael has been to Japan and he loves it there. =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look stunning! All the men are wanting to dance with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so cool. Trends, not so much. Have a wonderful time at the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Butternut: With your fan you must be the most mysterious and elegant guest at the ball. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredible picture, and a fascinating story to go with it.

    I hope you're having fun at the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to meet you. This is a lovely bash and you are beautiful. Pop over and have some refreshment with us and lets get to know each other.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous look...I did the same with my daughter (the look not the modeling!) and we lightly applied power and makeup. She was a natural looking kimono wearing (bride?)girl...all pink.

    I used to teach English to Japanese students and sometimes businessmen. The costume was a parting gift to my daughter.

    What a wonderful mind-opening experience. Thanks for sharing, Butternut...

    Oh and the crowds parted upon your entrance to Willow's ball...but I'm sure you were too demure to notice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You never cease to amaze me! A Geisha? Wow, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is definitely a fantasy look I'd like to step into..when I read "Geisha", I was more than carried away..
    How gorgeous you were at the Ball..I waved as you passed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a very special picture You look lovely
    and how fun to lear about tea ceremonies and dance
    When I was young me and my husband went backpacking in Malaysia and there they liked our look too We were photographed by a magazine and a film team followed us. (our only fame) Arohanui, marja

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great picture and what a lovely entrance you must have made at the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't realize you lived in London, OH until just now as I read your profile! I live in Cedarville....so very close!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry if this is a second comment, the first seems to have disappeared before i typed the magical letters in.

    Love seeing this photo of you. To me it seems you have had a multitude of unique experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello butternut, if i get to come back as a woman on this place of existence then one "role" that appeals to me is the geisha. but your last proviso "not for the entertainment of men" might make that ever so slightly unlikely!!! nope, leave me alone to paint and write....... have a peaceful day. steven

    ReplyDelete